I suggest you ...

Support reading from screen grabs

Screen grabs have too low a resolution for VelOCRaptor to work well. Rescale them before reading so that they work.

98 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Duncan McGregorAdminDuncan McGregor (Admin, VelOCRaptor) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Holly Pechter-WaltersHolly Pechter-Walters commented  · 

It would be really helpful if I could OCR from a screen capture. Thanks.

Holly

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I need screenshots to be able to be read

• HandyMacHandyMac commented  · 

I wanted to get some text out of a book at Google Books. The first screen shot produced a poor result in VelOCRaptor, but after I enlarged the print several steps (which also required enlarging the Safari window), it worked well enough. I also tried saving the screen shot as a TIFF, but it didn't seem to work any better than the PNG I normally use.

Offhand I can't think of another situation where I'd need to use a screen shot to get text, except Web pages like Google Books where the text can't be copied; but sure, I expect that as OCRopus gets smarter, VelOCRaptor should be able to work with more marginal input.

• mc23646266mc23646266 commented  · 

are you using 10.6? if so, create a service(dienste) for ocr'ing screengrabs.
        i choose a shellscript for my solution, with 'sips' scaling the screenshots,
        to temporary 300dpi, reading once a pdf then reading a txt.
        the txt gives very varying results.
        some are excellent,
        some terrible.

• Jen CluseJen Cluse commented  · 

Screen grabs sooooo useful (Sure, only at times, but there is nothing out there that can, yet. (SelectAll_Copy a Finder window gives you a text file of the file *names, but there are time where the dates are important, and I can see this cute raptor doing the job, one day.

Feedback and Knowledge Base